Friday, November 7, 2008

Nov. 7 2:49

Okee dokee. We are now in the swearing stage. I'll spare you the details. Suffice it to say, the brace is not our friend.

Good news. The speech therapist has started giving him real food. He breezed right through what they call stage 1 and 2 foods and is on stage 3. Today for lunch he was offered clam chowder, chicken salad, applesauce, apple juice, and some veggies. He did not like any of it, I think mostly because he wanted the %$#% brace off. He has to sit up to eat so he must have the brace on to eat.

I asked about the VitalStim and she says he is still responding to other therapies so she will continue with those. The VitalStim is used when nothing else is working.

He is very tired today and a little more disoriented. He still asks about Blaine and Doreen. He named them as two of his children. There is apparently still a problem in Green River he feels he needs to take care of.

OK. Never mind. He just said he doesn't know of anything he needs to do there.

Thank you to our visitors today, Kathy, Jen, and (oh my gosh I forgot!) the one from whom Jen "borrows" pens, (reportedly without asking). I could tell, Jen, that you are in a bit of denial. That's OK I've been there! We are not alone!

Alright, really, thanks for the visits and the card was great!

It's been a busy night for the helicopters. The nurse said it always gets busy on the weekends.
With that in mind, please be careful and be safe. Make it a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! Is there someone I "borrow" pens from that came to "visit"?!!! I sure love his entertainment, I hope he is not totally embarrassed reading these posts when he is all better someday!!!! I guess I would be swearing too if I was confined to my bed and made to wear a shell all the time...aaaaahhh. I was excited to see his sense of humor with Julie the other day, though, it was comforting to me. Keep up the good work dad, we are always praying for your full recovery. We love you!
Jeny and family
PS...By the way, mom, I remembered what he said the other day when I was (really) visiting:) He asked where the kids little brother was and I said they have a little sister, Abbie, and she's right here. Do they have a little brother too? He said yes!! (I don't know exactly what that means...maybe there is a boy waiting for us).

fredc said...

It sounds like his swallowing is coming back. Clam Chowder is not for wimps.

:)

If he can handle it for a long enough for them to be comfortable that he isn't going to aspirate, that it will go down the right place, it sounds like you will loose that last tube. Good progress, I hope.

His thinking ability is amazing. When he can figure out where the correct memories are, I believe he will be fine. Pretty neat he can speak in Spanish as well.

As always, he is in my prayers. The Lord doesn't always take away our struggles when we want them gone, but He sure loves us and wants us to succeed.

Levi's progress seems fast to me, but I am sure, on a daily basis it doesn't and that has to be frustrating to both him and you.

Thanks for the updates, and the humor. Elder Wirthlin just spoke about learning to laugh in this last GC. Something I could get better at.