Sunday, November 23, 2008

Nov. 23 11:17 a.m.

Again, sorry for not posting the last couple of days. I have been very sick. We did take Levi to lunch yesterday. The OT chose The Noodle Company because it was the most conducive to his diet. He did pretty well until he went into the bathroom. He went in and locked the stall then took off his brace. He is no longer on "one on one" even though he keeps trying to get up without the brace or take it off while he is sitting up. We have just under 2 months to deal with this.


Levi got up the other night to look through his wardrobe for something and fell. He did have his brace on thank goodness. He fell sort of on his tailbone then went on back and hit his head on the floor. The nurse ran in to get him up and check him out. Levi is the one who told me about it, not the staff. I told the Dr., he had not heard about it either.


Levi is complaining about the hearing in his left ear so they are checking that out. He can no longer straighten out his right elbow completely so I asked again for them to find out why so we can do something about it.


When we got there yesterday his feeding tube was gone. They said it got plugged up and they couldn't fix it so they had to take it out. The Dr. had said he would be happy if Levi could eat 1800 calories even though they were pushing for 2200. He ate about 1300 the day before. At this point he needs to eat more so they don't have to put the tube back in. He is supposed to eat that many cals. for three days before they take out the tube so I'm not sure he will be able to accomplish that before Tuesday. They are all talking about sending him home on Tuesday.

I guess that means someone should be contacting me tomorrow to come put in the bars in the shower and by the toilets. A lot to do in a couple of days!

I'm too sick to go to the hospital today so I might not post again until Monday night. Levi has learned to use the phone and calls me frequently, so maybe he will call me about something I can post tonight. We'll see. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you are sick, we've been down for two days with the tummy bug...yuck. Hope you get feeling better.
I have to say how disappointed I am so far with this hospital...I am not impressed at all with their care of dad. It seems like no one is on the same page with each other, especially the with the doctor. I really hope he can take the right amount of calories so they don't have to redo the feeding tube. I can't believe he took a fall, that scares me, but I'm glad he is doing ok. It should be interesting to have him home, I think he will like it, but it will be a lot of work for you. Hang in there and we will see you in a few days.
Love,
Jeny

fredc said...

You mentioned grab bars, etc. Do you have them lined up? Do you need a source? Someone to install them? Someone that knows where they go and how high?

In my opinion, the key to grab bars is the backing that is typically installed inside the wall. Sheetrock doesn't hold too much by itself.

What help does he use to move himself around?

Armand said...

If there is anything that we can do please let us know, you guys are in our prayers we miss you, and love you. The Leach's

Jackie said...

It was so great visiting with Levi today! When we arrived he was in the gym, but had seen us arrive, recognized us, and was walking back to meet us! He was walking without a walker and looking great-- considering all that he has been through.

Levi and J.C. spoke in Spanish for a long time!

Jackie said...

Oops, forgot to sign our names!
Deborah and J.C. (Levi's sister and brother-in-law)

Laura Kae Brandler said...

Sorry to hear you are sick (and you too Jeny), that's all you needed. Some scary stuff here, falling and the feeding tube. I worry for you having him home this soon, but I am sure he will only be released when everyone can handle it. I wish I were closer to you. My thoughts and prayers are close though. Thankfully you have such great kids that are older and help you so much.
Love to all.
Laura