Sunday, November 2, 2008

Nov. 2 1:40

Emily and I just got here about an hour ago. The nurse said he wanted to get dressed right away this a.m. She told him that OT usually does that with him to help him learn how. He said, "I know how. Can we just do it?" Last night he kept asking me the time and seemed a little frustrated. He said it's Saturday isn't it? I told him yes and he said, "oh Gaul." I asked him what he was so worried about and he said, "I need to get a shower so I can go to church tomorrow.

The Elders came this a.m. to administer sacrament. They usually just touch it to the lips if the person has a feeding tube as Levi does. Those patients are not supposed to eat anything. Levi grabbed the little tiny piece and ate it! The poor Elders were very worried. I think next week we will take him to the service they hold here. Maybe he will have his tube out by then.

He is worried about extra trees for Jen's and Steve's yard.

Has to get up earlier to do the trailers.

Darren is going to turn the knob... (who's Darren?) I don't know...

Get Evelynn involved in this....(Evelynn Foy our neighbor?) yes. So they can pick them up...(pick up who?) anyone they want, brothers, siblings, whatever...

They gave him his Ritalin a few minutes ago. Just before all this conversation. Now he is having a conversation with himself.

I'm going to ask the dr. to take him off the Ritalin for a couple of days. I just want to be sure we are doing the right thing. He had a great deal of clarity when we got here.

He just tried to get out of bed to go tell the kids out there to aerate every night.

The nurse came in with some Chapstick and he asked' "how much do I owe you for all this?"

He is talking about Doug the wrestler guy who is younger than him. Then he said something about Jody so I asked him if he meant Doug Worthen and he said yes.

And you youth out there that are "scarfing", you need to be quiet the rest of the day.

The conversation goes on and on. I think I need a tape recorder!

More later.

4 comments:

MomjanChristensen said...

Bob was never this interesting....some of his dreams were, however. Someday they will have experiences to share because they will 'understand' one another...

Yes, get a tape recorder...

Jan Christensen

Laura Kae Brandler said...

Wow, he sure has a lot going on, he must be exhausted trying to take care of everything. Pretty interesting stuff and to think of how the brain is wired and all. So delicate and yet able to run everything in our bodies and our lives.
Sounds like is making leaps and bounds. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
xoxo
Laura

fredc said...

How is his swallowing?

It would be great to get the feeding tube out if he is ready.

Several years ago, when my father needed help in this area, I found VitalStim Therapy on the web and a local person that was trained. It was new then, but had a good percentage of success. At the time IHC wouldn't try it, and I couldn't get him transferred to a place where there was someone that was trained.

Doug said...

Kelly, thanks for the transcript of the conversations. Love it. Someone else I know went through experiences like that.

Doug White