Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Nov. 25 9 p.m.

Woooooow.... He's home. We brought him home about 2:45 ish. It took the pharmacy so long to fill his Rx so we were late for our 2:30 appt. with the Rehab people at the house. Also the guy with the grab bars came at the same time. Levi was annoyed with people being there so he just went to lay on the couch upstairs for awhile. After everyone left and I took Emily to her driving lesson he got busy. David called to tell me that Levi was "fixing" the furnace. Ali tried to distract him but it didn't work. He was changing the filter. He also cleaned up some water that gathers in the bottom of the refrigerator. He ordered the children around a bit. They fortunately had scouts and YW to go to. This will be a big adjustment. He wasn't home very much before the accident then he was gone for two months.

Regarding the care at IMED; there are a lot of really good people there but they do seem to have a communication, staffing, and training difficulty. I'm sure it is something they are working on. It is such a stark difference to go from ICU to rehab. Unfortunately it has been my experience through many years that often the staff dismisses the remarks of the patient or family. I noticed this most when in labor and I always do as they say because I second guess myself. I hope I've learned to speak up. Always ask all the questions you have until you are satisfied with the answers and watch out for side stepping answers. (I think I recognize those from growing up around salesmen.) Dr. Ryser was very good about answering questions clearly. :) Trust your instincts and inspiration. Also, read a lot. I think things would have gone a little smoother if I had been able to be there 24/7 simply because I know Levi and they don't. I am grateful for those that were well trained and caring.

So here is a glimpse of what they had to deal with. Levi told me he had to figure out something he could put his food in so he could throw it away. (that way they would think he had eaten it and stop bothering him) The other day he told me he doesn't eat he just flushes it down the toilet! He has called the nurses useless and the doctors retarded. etc. etc....

We have and aide coming in every day for about 10 hours. I was thinking that was too long to have a stranger hanging around. After one afternoon and evening at home I'm re-thinking that.
I was worried that when he got home he would not listen to us and I was right. We have to get a definite routine in place so he will hopefully begin to "go with the flow".

My refiner's fire has been stoked. It amazes me that the Lord trusts me with this. Levi can really use your prayers now because I'm who he has to rely on the other 14 hours of the day.
(Yikes, I had to check my math on that. There are still 24 hrs. in a day , right?)

I'm wondering if by the end of the week I might have to take Levi's meds over to Evelynn (our neighbor) just so I'm not tempted to take them myself! I think I could really use some mood enhancing and anxiety squashing help. :)

Anyway, we are embarking on a new adventure. We would still love to have visitors but I'm not sure just yet when his therapies will be during the day and I will be trying to get dinner on the table by 6 p.m. so I'm guessing that from 7-8 p.m. would be clear beyond that just give us a call.

Oh, Dr Ryser told Levi today that he is not to drive a car and he cannot work for the remainder of this year. Even though Levi realizes that is only about a month, he is still very unhappy. I'm sure that he is now thinking that Dr. Ryser is retarded/useless.

I am rambling through this post and Levi is needing something so thank you all for your comments and prayers. I'm sure there will be much to post tomorrow! :)

7 comments:

fredc said...

Congratulations that Levi is home. I fought doctors and nurses and even family to get where you are four years ago. I did what I could, but didn't succeed.

I was wondering what type of music does Levi like, and respond well to?

Unknown said...

Levi has very diverse tastes. But he has never really liked the "church pop", all the LDS singers that put out albums.
He Just got 2 choir cds from a friend and choir member, and one from Joy and Hector. He has stuff from Men Without Hats to The Planet P Project to Peter Gabriel, Manheim Steamroller, Enya....
Can't think anymore tonight. Right now he needs soothing stuff. TBI patients need more quiet surroundings... again, I'm not sure why they sent him home (ha ha). O.K. I don't see a spell check on here! Oh well...

Jackie said...

Congratulations! Great news that you are home Levi!

From past personal experience, I have found it is always good to have someone at the hospital to ask questions for the patient, track down doctors, and get the patient the help they need. This is especially true when dealing with patients who are children, stroke victims and brain trauma.

Hats off to IMED for bringing Levi to the point of being able to come home and having the strength to change furnace filters! He is showing us he is still independent!

Jo said...

Welcome Home Levi! So glad you are finally there. Now don't give Kelly too hard of time. :)

Kelly, Yea he made it home! I appreciate your thoughts on this experience. Hang in there and remember I am just a phone call away!

Jody

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you tomorrow Dad!! Get some rest and don't work too hard:) Hope you are doing well today mom, see ya soon.
Jeny

Ted said...

Howdy.

Kelly your might try the Metallica S&M cd for Levi. I like it.

Jenifer, I have been locked out of viewing your blogspot. I miss seeing what is happening to my great nephews and nieces.

Ted Allen.

Anonymous said...

oops, sorry Ted. I thought I sent an invite to your email, I will send one for you.