Friday, October 24, 2008

This post is by Jeny:
I just got home from visiting dad today, it's been a very long day. It was great to see him again and boy what a difference from a week ago!! He was talking so much, although most of it was not understandable. I asked him if he could see me and he said "I can see you". I asked him who I am and he said "yeny" (Jeny). I asked him if he remembered me, he said yes. I asked him if he knew where he was, he said hospital (slurred), then I asked if he remembered his accident. I don't remember if I said ladder or if he said it, but he talked about needing more water (for the windows he was washing). I thought maybe he was talking about the rain that day, so I asked him if it was raining and he said no. He then repeated that he "needed more water and I realized..." the rest was too slurred. I then talked to him about his family, all the kids and grandkids. He couldn't remember my kids names until I told them to him then he said "I remember". Each time I said someone's name to him he would go on about something for each one. I couldn't understand what he was saying. I asked him who his daughters were and he said "Hillary". I asked who his dad is, he said "Lewis", sisters "Doreen", brothers "Blaine". He remembered the rest and remebered his mother and that she had died. I asked him again who I was and he said it again "yeny". I asked him where he went on his mission, he said "Chile". I talked to him about Abbie's baby blessing but couldn't understand what he said back. Most of this conversation was with the big face breathing mask on so it made it difficult to understand him and probably difficult for him to hear me. I have to say that I was very surprised that I was able to converse with him so much, I didn't expect that when I went there today. I am so grateful I had that little bit of time with him to talk, it really meant a lot to me that he was awake and able to talk to me.
The nurse said that he helped the therapist get dad out of bed today and stand up. He can't stand on his own, of course, but they got him up for a minute. That is great!! I know it must be driving him crazy to lay there and not be able to get up and move. I'm sure it's very frustrating also to not be understood most of the time. He really tries hard to communicate. I asked the nurse if he mumbles a lot or if he stops sometimes and the nurse said he does it all the time. I wish I could be there more to sit and talk to him. I started singing "I am a Child of God" to him and I'm pretty sure he said "lead me" while I was singing. It was really sweet. As I was leaving, I said "I love you, dad" a few times and each time he said "I love you, too". I blew him a kiss (without the hand movement) and he did it too. This breaks my heart to see him like this but I am most grateful for his progress. It has been such a blessing to him and to our family to see these miracles with him. I absolutely know that it is the faith and prayers of all of us that love and care about him that has brought him this far. We have so much to thank our Father in Heaven for. Thank you for your prayers, please keep them coming, they are working!! :)
Like I said, it's been a long day so I'm sure I've forgotten something. I will post if I remember anything.
Jeny

2 comments:

Doug said...

Jeny - Thank you for the update! Great news. I have been watching for news today and was happy to see this. Several others at Kristina Blunt's reception tonight said they were hoping to hear something today, too.

Thanks again,
Doug White

Burnhams said...

Thanks for the update, we too have been here waiting. Its good to hear that he is starting to remember some things, I hope there is much much more to come, and that his speech too will improve.

Heather