Sunday, October 26, 2008

Oct. 26 11:08 (Kelly)

I forget so much by the time I post to the blog so I will keep this post going all day and add as I think of things or as things happen.

So far this a.m. Levi has been up again and working really hard to take a couple of assisted steps. This is painful for him.

Dr. Hill came in to check on him and said he is doing well. He is certainly stable enough to move but it would not be before tomorrow afternoon.

Stacy, thanks for your questions. Levi is quite conscious he just wears out quickly. He answers questions appropriately but when he tries to add information(express his own thoughts) he just mumbles. We turned on the TV to see if we could find a talk to listen to and Conference was on! The Primary Choir sang I Am a Child of God and he sang along. It was a mix of words, mouthing and a bit of mumbling, but he was trying to sing it.

He just sang "Teach Me to Walk in The Light". Also, "I Love to See the Temple". And most clearly, "We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet."

Yesterday I was surprised to see Elder Ballard visiting the ICU. Maybe we can include his loved one in our prayers.

I'm so sorry. I intended to post this as soon as I got home, however I found there was problem with the Internet connection. Fixed now.

The physical therapists worked Levi really hard this afternoon. He went about 5 steps forward and a couple to the side. This completely wears him out! He was really talking a lot today and we understood a little more of it. Ali and Jordan were there and they showed him pictures on their laptop. He seemed to recognize everyone. We took all the cards and decorations off his walls in preparation of his move. Hopefully he will be transferred Monday afternoon, after numerous drs. sign off on his release papers. It is now 12:12 a.m. the 27th. No cocoa tonight, I think, just right to bed.

P.S. The speech therapist will be working more with Levi to help him learn how to swallow again but until he masters that the feeding tube has to stay. They have kept him in the same room in ICU for over three weeks now as a matter of practicality. Otherwise I think they would have moved him out after the drain was removed, then back in after the back surgery, then out, then transfer to rehab. That would have been very counter productive I think. Thanks for your questions Bro. Cox.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post, Mom. I'm glad Dad is doing so well. I'm excited that he was singing along with the primary children. I sang I am a Child of God with him the other day :) Things will go fast once he is in rehab, it will be great!! I hope you are getting some rest.
See you soon,
Jeny

Burnhams said...

Childrens hymns are the best and simplest way to learn.

Levi, I'll be back "home" sometime between thanksgiving and christmas. I hope you are home by then too.
Heather Christensen Burnham